Monday 18 January 2016

HAIR CARE ROUTINE (HAIR JOURNEY)!

My hair before cutting and
heat damage at the end of
2005 (aged 8).

I've always had so much trouble with growing my hair since I had it cut to my shoulders when I was about 10. 8 years later and my hair is finally growing and feeling healthier - but there is definitely some changes I had to make. Enjoy some embarrassing pictures throughout :)


The length of my hair at
the beginning of
2011 (aged 13).
The first problem was that, between the ages of around 12 and 16 I either straightened or curled my hair near enough every single day WITHOUT heat-protectant - What was I thinking? Honestly, I've now cut out straighteners/curlers near enough altogether but i understand not everyone feels comfortable doing this or some people just like doing their hair! This I completely understand, it's the reason why I used to use them so much but if you do choose to do that, please use a heat protectant spray! The one I've been using for a very long time now is the TRESEMME Keratin Smooth Heat Protection Shine Spray (which is currently on discount at ASDA at £2.00!) I used this after I towel-dry my hair by spraying and combing through before I blow-dry or spray and comb through dry hair before using any heated appliances. 

Another obvious damage to my hair was done through colouring - I've had my hair so many
Purple-coloured hair in 2011
(aged 14).
different colours (red, purple, blonde, ginger, dark brown, black) which I did through home-colouring. I choose not to colour my hair anymore and if I do want to dye it again I'll definitely be going to a hairdressers who knows what they are doing. Home-colouring caused unneeded damage to my hair and the colour tended to fade quickly anyway - I think everyone goes through the teenage phase of experimenting with the colour of their hair but I wish I hadn't.

Very short, very dark brown hair
in 2010 (aged 13).
I would definitely suggest investing in a good quality hairbrush as we often damage our hair a lot when combing it through and combing out any knots - breakage can occur especially when combing through wet hair as this is when it is at its most fragile. I recently bought and reviewed the TANGLE TEEZER which you can read here, and I still stand by it as a great product, I have no regrets!

LEE STAFFORD Argan Oil and TRESEMME heat protectant
and hair masque.
I would say I wash my hair either 2 or 3x a week as my hair really doesn't need to be washed any more than that! I used to wash it a lot more often and I found that my hair became dirtier quicker when I did, and as I stopped washing it so much my hair just adjusted to the new routine. When I wash my hair I like to use the the Keratin Smooth shampoo from TRESEMME (the same line as the heat protectant) which is also £2.00 at the moment at ASDA! Then I follow by using the TRESEMME Keratin Smooth Deep Treatment Masque  (also £2.00 at ASDA) which I leave on my hair for around 10-15 minutes then rinse off. I've been using this hair mask for such a long time now and it leave my hair feel so smooth, shiny and hydrated afterwards. I definitely recommend trying it out! If you're interested I'd grab it from ASDA whilst they are all on offer as they are usually around £5.00 each.
In between washes I also use the Lee Stafford Argan Oil (Nourishing Miracle Oil with Pro-Argan complex) to treat my hair where it may be slightly dry - it smells lovely and doesn't make your hair look greasy at all - its lightweight and my hair looks smooth and silky after use. This can be purchased at BOOTS for £11.99.

Hair extensions - 2014 (aged 17).
One last thing I used from the age of around 14 to 17 was clip-in hair extensions. I was so desperate to have longer hair but I really disliked my natural hair so didn't feel I could stop using my heat appliances on it. So I turned to clip-in hair extensions which, at the time, I really was happy with. 
However, when I look back now, they looked so dry and terrible after the first few times I straightened or curled or washed them. 
They were also so inconvenient - clips popping out everywhere or being able to be seen (I'm sure many girls can relate to this) and when I look back now it feels like wasted money. 
My hair currently.
They were around £40-£50 each time I purchased new ones and over those three years I spent a lot on them. The clips also used to pull at my hair which I'm pretty sure didn't help the growing process and it made me even more insecure about my real hair - I literally never wanted to go out without them. Now, I'd never go back to hair extensions personally, I've learned to love my own hair and I feel so much better for it. It's not the length I want it yet but it's getting there.

Thank you as always for reading! 
Holly Amber X

No comments:

Post a Comment